Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Stepping Out!

Selamat Siang Followers!

I write to you from a lovely cafe on Gootama St in Ubud, Bali...no matter where I am in the world I still require a proper daily caffeine. (I would love to share a lovely photo with you but after trying to upload the photo 1,000 times I am forced to give up. Please forgive me as I can be technologically cursed).

I promise to give a full recount of my Balinese adventures, but today is about the motivation to step out into the world and stay out! As westeners we have a hard time just relaxing, and enjoying the small things in life. Not the finer things, but the small things - like a smile from a friendly stranger in a new city when you're horribly lost. While I'd like to think I am getting better at separating myself from my previous desires like getting that next promotion or pay raise, I still catch myself defining my worth by a job title or lack thereof.

My time thus far in Bali and even Australia, has re-opened my eyes to the bigger picture of life. The big picture that I personally imagine: we are all here to serve a higher purpose, and experience as many blessings as the world can offer.  The past few days though, I have to admitt, have been a struggle. After this month of yoga, adventure and meditation I will return to Australia to begin the work portion of my Australian Work Holiday Visa. Because of certain limitations with my visa, I will not be working a traditional job that would be a conversation opener at say a Southern wedding rehearsal dinner.  It will instead be something in the hospitality field, or if I am lucky, on a contract basis. This is a very different career choice than I am accustomed to, so I have to remind myself of one of the lessons the world is teaching me: we are more than our jobs. Shocking concept I know, but you and I are more than marketers, bankers, entrepreneurers and even event managers!

As a fun little reminder of this lesson I recieved this article link from a good friend of mine today: 9 Reasons to Quit Your Job and Travel the World.   I am not encouraging a mass exodus from the corporate world, but I would like to encourage all my lovely friends to look up from your desk every now and then and step out into the world.

(For those of you reading this, be sure to click "follow". Thanks for the support!)

1 comment:

  1. Hobbs!!!! I just finished reading all of your blog entries. I started a similar adventure last year when my bf David and I went backpacking through Europe. I started blogging about it but due to internet failures (GAH). Here's the link http://davidnamy.blogspot.com/
    Anyways, after Europe I began travel nursing and my latest adventure was in SF for 3 months... next stop is DC for 6 weeks. I plan to start blogging again soon! Keep me posted on your adventures & best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete