Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Bye Bye Bondi; Hello Port

Ah, finally - the trip I have been longing for.  My stay in Port Douglas will grant me easy access to Daintree Rainforest, Great Barrier Reef, warm turquoise water, hammocks, Island Hopping and fellow backpacker comroderey.  I will be sure to share the hob nobbing adventures I encounter, but how about I share my first 3 days in the land of OZ...


Well, after spending 23 flying hours and 5+ layover hours in China Town, aka my airline, I finally arrived in Australia's promise land (Sydney, duh). Being the beach bum I am though, I quickly ran away from the hustle and bustle of the Sydney city streets to the pristine coast line of Bondi Beach.  I could not have dreamed of a better place to start my Australian journey.  The Bondi Beach House welcomed me with open arms and a cozy cottage. For anyone visiting the Sydney area, you should seriously spend a few nights here.  Ten steps from the water, shops and restaurants, not to mention the universe's most tranquil patio garden with a wall of eucalyptus can turn any tired frown upside down.  


See - eucalyptus wall:)



"Technically" I arrived in the dead of winter.  Clearly San Diegan's and Sydneyians (?) have been the only one's describing winter in Sydney/Bondi.  The weather was perfect for exploring, 50's/60's F.  Speaking of San Diego, Bondi Beach is what SoCal WISHES it was:  

  • The ocean is crystal clear blue 
  • The people are even more beautiful (don't come with self esteem issues - this place won't work out well for you.)
  • There is a better variety of restaurants and shops
  • Public transportation...exists
  • And my favorite there are lap pools right next to the ocean.  No need to risk your life while going for a dip, brilliant 
A tip for those ever venturing to Bondi Beach, the best way to take in all the beauty is to go for a run along to Coastal Walk.  From point to point it is only 4k, but you run along the coast and can double back to get in a solid distance. 


View of North Bondi after sunset



I did venture into Sydney my last day (yesterday).  My main point of business was to try and get my damned US 3GS iPhone unlocked. [ALERT: Getting one's phone unlocked in the US before hand does not work...you've now been warned]  So, upon recommendation, I joined back up with my peeps in China Town in search of a geek with mad unlocking skills.  As it turns out, they are not my peeps and no one would unlock my phone! I am now operating on a Nokia circa 2000. At least I have a real local Aussie number, though. After my rejection I decided to set sail on smoother waters and take in the sighs of Sydney Harbor.  The best way to do this is to literally set sail on one of the many ferry options.  The Opera House is as amazing as you were hoping it would be, btw. l look forward to experiencing this city with my partners in crime, Jana and David, come next February.After my brief visit, I do believe sharing this city with friends is the way to do it, and I can't wait for them to come!   


From the Ferry


Now I write to you from the Cairns airport awaiting my free pickup provided by Dougies Backpacker Resort.  This hostel will be my home for at least one week, and I am hoping to call Port Douglas home for a little longer than that...     

No comments:

Post a Comment